The Illawarra District Weeds Authority (IDWA) has two (2) full-time employees, the Chief Weeds Officer and a Weed Inspector/Operator. The IDWA is the Local Government body empowered to control priority weeds in the following three (3) Council areas:
- Wollongong City
- Shellharbour City
- Kiama Municipal
The IDNWA came into existence in 1992 when the abovementioned councils decided to form a special purpose council to administer and control their noxious weeds. The Authoirty as at July 2017 is known as Illawarra Distrcit Weeds Authority (IDWA). Each of the three (3) constituent councils has one delegate who represents their council’s interests and oversees the affairs of the Authority. A technical sub-committee comprised of one (1) officer from each of the three (3) council’s technical staff provides an advisory and support function to the IDWA. Kiama Municipal Council and the Illawarra SHoalhaven Joint Organisation Secretariat provide administrative support.
The administrative base of the IDWA consists of:
- A part-time clerical person to undertake day to day administration;
- All field and associated administration work is undertaken by the Chief Weeds Officer who, as well as working in close liaison with the Authority Chairman and Executive Officer, is responsible for the day to day running of the Weeds Authority. He also acts as spokesperson on field and technical matters for the Authority.
- The workface activities are undertaken by the Priority Weeds Inspector/Operator who carries out property inspections and spray programs and directs and supervises any casual spray operators. The Inspector, in conjunction with the Chief Weeds Officer, submits quarterly reports to the Authority.
- The elected members and technical representatives of the constituent councils form the management committee of the Weeds Authority. A meeting of the Authority normally is convened quarterly.
The Management Committee of the IDWA comprises the following delegates.
Secretariat – Illawarra Shoalhaven Joint Organisation: (02) 42 323200
Representative: Executive Officer: Ms Lesley Scarlett
- Wollongong City Council: (02) 4227 7111
Councillor Representative: Clr Cath Blakey
Technical Representative: Mr Vanni De Luca
- Shellharbour City Council: (02) 4221 6111
Technical Representative: Mr Scott Rowe
- Kiama Municipal Council: (02) 4232 0200
Councillor Representative: Clr Kathy Rice
Technical Representative: Mr Peter Gill
IDNWA Deed of Agreement